DEPENDENT STUDENT VERIFICATION PROCEDURES
You’ve been selected for verification by Department of Education!
*Please follow the instructions below and meet the requested deadlines.
Documents required for verification if you successfully downloaded your taxes to your FAFSA using the online IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- Dependent Verification Worksheet signed and dated
Documents required for verification if you did not utilize FAFSA’s online IRS Data Retrieval Tool and/or you utilized the tool but made changes to the data transferred:
- Student’s official 2015 IRS Tax Transcripts signed and dated.
- Parent’s official 2015 IRS Tax Transcripts signed and dated.
*If parent’s in the household are married or remarried and they filed separately, we will need official 2015 IRS tax transcripts from both parents in the household.
If amended taxes were filed by either the student or the parents, an IRS Tax Account Transcript will need to be requested along with the IRS Tax Transcript. We do need both!
Options for obtaining your free copies of federal 2015 tax transcripts:
- Online— http://www.irs.gov. Click on the online tool “Order a Transcript”. (Recommended; takes 5-10 days)
- Order by Phone—Call 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts in the recorded message. (Takes 5-10 days)
- Order by mail—complete the IRS from 4506T-EZ. (Not recommended; takes up to 30 days)
Please request your 2015 IRS Tax Transcripts today! The verification process is not complete without them!
- Return signed verification worksheet along with all 2015 Tax Transcripts if required. If you used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing your 2015-16 FAFSA, and we checked that you do not need to provide IRS tax transcripts, you will only need to return the completed verification worksheet to the financial aid office.
- The college recommends that all requested documentation to complete verification be returned to the Financial Aid Office no later than 10 days from the date of request. Failure to return the completed and signed verification worksheet and/or IRS Tax Transcripts (if requested & required) will delay verification and may result in either owing a tuition payment to the college, or not attending classes for the upcoming term. The Student Accounts Office will be notified of any incomplete Financial Aid packages. This will result in a bill for tuition, which may be due upon receipt. All tuition is paid in full before the first day of class unless arrangements have been made prior with Student Accounts.
The Financial Aid Office will notify you of your approved financial aid awards by providing a VMCAD Award Letter to your VMCAD e-mail.
If any changes take place that affect the financial aid on your signed award letter, you will be contacted by phone or e-mail. You will be required to sign a revised award letter if any changes were made to your loan disbursements.
If you approve the awards listed on your award letter, please sign and return to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. We need the signed award letter to process and request your financial aid funds. All award letters must be signed before the first day of class. Any student who does not sign and return their award letter to the financial aid office will not be admitted to class until the award letter is signed and dated.
If Virginia Marti College suspects a student or parent has misreported information (income, assets, etc.) or altered documentation to fraudulently obtain federal funds, the college’s Financial Aid Office will report and provide documentation of any evidence to the office of Inspector General.